Saturday, November 21, 2009

A very heavy heart...

Today was a very depressing day. Well, it had some good aspects- I hung out with my mom and we went shopping :) and we made Japanese food at Joe and Candace's house! It was kind of like tapanyaki (sp?) except on pancake griddles, but it still tasted amazing! Anyway, the depressing part of my day was when my mom and I were walking in the Winco parking lot and I saw a man abusing his son. He was right in the middle of the parking lot doing this! I was so shocked and disturbed I couldn't even talk. I think after a few minutes i yelled something at the man, and finally explained to my mom what had happened. I called my brother, who is a cop, to ask him what I should do and he said to call 911. Unfortunately, as I was getting ready to call, they left the parking lot. I'm praying that the boy will be saved from his cruel father. Hopefully his teacher at school or someone will say something.

All of this to say, I am so heartbroken for all of those kids out there with parents who don't think twice about hitting them, or who don't care for and love them. I can't stop thinking about it. I wish there was more that we could do to protect these children! Next time I see anything close to abuse I now know to report it immediately; Im still kicking myself for not thinking fast enough.

This also got me to thinking, not in an insensitive way, of how thankful I am for my own parents. I know that my safety and well-being is always in the forefront of their minds; this is something that has always amazed me because they have six kids and devote so much time and thought for each one of us. In these last few months as I have been moving around quite a bit, my Dad has made it a priority to check my oil every time I come home, and always make sure my car is up to par. I know that I can call him at midnight, which I have, to ask for directions or car advice, and he is always more than willing. My mom is equally there for me. I cannot count how many times I have called her- homesick, stressed, upset, or happy- and she is always there to listen, comfort, or offer advice. The times that I spend with my parents are treasured, and I am so blessed to have them as my mom and dad. :)

This has got me thinking about all the other people in my life that I love and I wish I could keep writing about them! But I must go, I have a dreaded paper to write.
Have a sweet night.

Also, if you ever see or hear any kind of abuse, call 911 immediately. I think we should all be a little more aware of what is going on around us, then maybe we can help. I know I'm going to be. And keep the little boy, and all the other boys and girls with abusive parents in your prayers. They need it.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good thing to raise awareness about. Very depressing, but very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this one, Kirsty. Thanks for the nice thoughts about Dad & me. We love you lots... it is hard to think about all the children who don't have caring parents.

    ReplyDelete